Saturday, July 5, 2008

if cooks could kill!!

elooo people!!!! who are still with me, checking my blog occassionally. namovakam. jobless souls......

so, wondering about the title?

well, not all cooks kill. a very few do. the rest, if we are talking about those at tandoor, bimbis, coffee house, chiking and all, they definitely don't kill. they amuse. they please our taste buds. they excite our nasal senses. they make us wish we were some 20 kgs underweight. they make pigs out of us. but they don't kill.

but there are souls who cooks and kills. for example,mmm.. lets see...we'll look around for a cook who kills......looking...looking......looking.......ok, we got one. me.

i do make this a big deal. i simply can't cook anything. for one thing, i don't like cooking.i do come from a long line of people who were experts at cooking. my mom, who makes the world's best fish curry....my grandmothers and great grandmothers,my cousins (btw, one of them accidently made uppuma one day, and till date, no casualities has been reported, so compares himself to our beloved nalan,whenever he gets a chance...) and last but not the bit least, my loving sister, who has set up a standard for me to overcome. her cooking is famous, her passion for cooking even more famous..i hate that. no, not the cooking.

then what do i hate?

the legend.
the one and only.

the legend is that, a loong time ago, (ok, i can use once upon a time here), certain unfortunate relatives of ours came to our house one day, hoping to meet my mom and dad, hu had fled..er..i mean gone to some faraway place, leaving the fate to chechi, or the other way round.

these poor souls, so, found at the doorsteps,a very happy and pleased sis, who was at a very dangerous age. she had just learned how to turn the gas knobs on and off..(btw, i wasn't anywer near planet earth that time,ok?)

pretty dangerous things, these knobs. once you get to know how to turn them, u get this uncontrollable itch to do it again, again, and again. then, at one fragile moment, u get the idea, "thy shall cook"

so did she..well, actually, she made some rice and curry, with the available provisions. although she denies it, , i know that she had some help from the ladies in the group. because the people who were her victims, are still very much alive today....

so, this story springs up, whenever the subject of cooking turns up in the family gatherings and also family meetings, not to mention roundtable conferences, kitchen talk and , gossips along with dining table chats etcetra etcetra...(is that the spelling?)

SO.
SOMETHING HAD TO BE DONE HERE. my pride was at stake. it was an impossible feat, but i had to try. once. that risk had to be taken. red alert was given. everyone was cautious. ready for anything. and on one fine day,ordinary,simple happy day....i cooked.

no, no details about the dish, the tedious and boring, timeconsuming impatient ordeal of cooking. no descriptions about my mother's exasperte swear words. no. i will spare you all that..

i chose dad as my victim.

he sat at his table, and now i wish i had taken a photo of the look on his face. he had a look on his face. my my, did he!!!!

me:(gleeing) acha, try this out. i made it all by myself!!!

achan:
(gulp) all by yourself?

me: sure. all. by. myself. no help whatsover. from none. this, my dear father, is entirely my creation!

my mom was behind the doors, all ready with the first aid kit,praying hard, bititng all the nails she had, praying for a miracle....

achan: (under his breath, to himself.) i love my daughter. i love my daughter. of course, it is my duty to encourage her. i do love my daughter, right? or may be i should just say she was adopted or something and get away with this.

as it turned out, he didn't do anything of the sort. he did the unthinkable. my brave father did the one thing no one has ever done before. and thanx to my mom's last time secret ingredients, he survived. may god keep him in good health. he will,as i now enter the kitchen only to take the plate, and drink water.

so...the conclusion????

taste bhi, health bhi....maggi is the best option, for me. and for those around me.!!!!!!
maybe the bimari of cooking tend to skip some generations???

;)

take care!!!!!











5 comments:

Jay said...

interesting read.. u dont have to start every blog with this "y the hell are u reading my blog" kind of attitude u knw :p.. this entry was gud anyway.. buhbyeee

Binsy said...

lol...so u r not the only frm the gift cookin getz skippd....

Binsy said...

*only one..

Nitish said...

Hey lathiyadi.com your post was great really amazing..Its really interesting.Good jo yaar.keep it up

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

POINT NOTED....ninakkum varum kalyanalochana...appasharyakkitharaam ;)