Friday, July 3, 2009

Stories of sarees..

Before you read this,you need to be reminded of/introduced to some concepts..

1.My fashion sense is dangerous.
2. That runs in the family.[but skipped my sis. and my dad considers it a personal insult to have a "fashion" sense.]

Now that we are clear on these, let us proceed. Those who read the previous post may have noticed that there was a wedding I wanted to go to. I got invited.(for a certain person who laughed coz I didn't get invited as my friend forgot to invite me-Ha!) No. I am not going to wear a saree..and This is not about that wedding.

this is about another wedding.(Gosh, there are a lot of weddings these days, am getting confused. They may trick me into coming to my own wedding if i am not careful. geez. ALERT.)

So I was saying, there is this another wedding I can go to. So, I went to my mom to ask for advise as of what to wear. And what did I find?

What, did I find?

I found a mom who was as confused as I was, as of what to wear to the wedding. AAAnd the damsel to the rescue!

"mom, have no fear,
The damsel in distress is here!"

easier said than done. My theory of selecting sarees was proved right once again this afternoon-which is.."Always find the blouse first. then find a matching saree.."

But by momentary lapse of memory,we started picking up sarees...

Me: This is good..

Mom: It is dirty.

Me: what about this one?

mom: nah..the blouse doesn't fit.

me: this must be good.

mom: it is torn.

me: this gotta be(better be) good!!

mom: thats new. I cant wear a new saree on saturday.

Me: hey this is my top I gave you for altering! MOM!! aargh!! its still here??

mom:(pretends she did not hear it.) this one is too simple.

Mom: what about this one?

Me: NO! you already wore it to the engagement. NO NO!(no self respecting daughter would ever let her mom got to a wedding wearing a saree she was seen in by the same people. Source: International code for daughters.)

argh! tic.tock.tock.tic.

Me: this saree is a dark shade of orange mom! it won't go with a slighter dark shade of orange colour of a blouse. we need another shade of orange. ORANGE! concentrate mom.

Mom: aargh!!

well, finally, after taking all the sarees out from the cupboard and mixing all the blouses, we found a matching shade of a blouse that fit a wedding-wearable saree. uff! (wipes off sweat from brow)
Thank god my sister wasn't here. We never agree upon the saree for mom! It was a huge fight our family witnessed as we disagreed over my mom's saree to be worn for my sis' wedding. Dang. Sis came up with a lousy "Its my wedding, My mom, She wears what I want" reason, and I had to give in! dang. Meh. Bah.
It is fun dressing up your mom.. We get a chance to take revenge to show gratitude for the times when we were a baby and she chose the dresses for us.
My sis is gonna kill me If the saree I chose wasnt appropriate for Mom.

Dang.

less than 12 hours and I have to come up with something to wear myself. anything. Something!

P.S. guys and some gals will find this post completely pointless. shoo off if you do. YOU never had a wardrobe malfunction in your life. YOU dont have relatives who even criticises your perfume and nailpolish. YOU don't think green and blue go well together. YOU are a guy. YOU(the girl) don't care.

I wonder whether there will be palada for the sadya.
:)

37 comments:

Amal Bose said...

this is one area where i feel sorry for girls..
as for us, we just wear wats comfortable. End of story.

Lakshmi said...

Got sumthin fashionable to wear yet???
I envy guys in this area.. all they hav is to mix n match... sum sober coloured shirts n pants.. Wat the hell do they knw of much time we spent in deciding wat to wear??? Its so confusing.. the best alternative wud b to get a new dress for every occasion.. so u wudnt hav to choose..

Blunt Edges said...

"mom, have no fear,
The damsel in distress is here!"


just outta curiosity...how does someone in distress help someone else? :D

Blunt Edges said...

wateva hapnd 2 comment moderation??? ***rubs eyes***

now wat do i type?? wat do i type?? wat do i type?? ***evil grin***

Blunt Edges said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anya said...

i wanna have the kerala sadya sometime.. miss my days in god's own country


www.chronicwriter.com

Destiny's child... said...

I can empathize...this scene happens at my house for all family functions...n most of the time all three of us (me, mom n sis) are damsels in distress...You are better than me...u just had to worry abt what u wud have to wear..(in the end that is..)
at my place sissie n i get into a tooth n nail fight sorta thing after she decides to wear something i was planning to! ;)

Binny V A said...

I like your dad. I too don't have a fashion sense. Or anything related to it. Choosing cloths putting you hand into the wardrobe and pulling the first thing that your hand touches. Simple.

Gymnast said...

Ok i think the PS was meant for me.I dont have relatives who comment on my nail polish , and i mostly dont care too much.
I just make sure that i stay comfortable in my skin whatever it is that i wear , and i absolutely hate looking artificial and decked up.
oh well...facebook did tell me that i am only 3 percent girlish.

Intern said...

err, my mom neva lisns to my suggestion of wat to wear, so no fun and no revenge :( i mean gratitude :D
hehehehe :P

DPhatsez said...

subtle mention duly noted and promptly rejected as always.

"O' fair,gracious damsel,
Hark! I need thy counsel,
Help a poor soul in need,
and revel in thy good deed,
Steal some foodings from the weddings,
that I may be blessed with 'touchings'!"
(DPhat)

Pray tell me, HowTF does a damsel (who so obviously is in distress) help another soul in need?
My condolences to paavam Aundie who,for want of an (un)grateful offspring's fashion sense(???), will not be looking her gracious best.

iceprincess said...

was d paalada good?
slurp!!!
and yea...u shld have spilt it on ur saree...
heehee

/urgu said...

*Grin* tch tch tch. My "fashion" whatever is just grab jeans and a t/shirt. My current fad is looking stoned, and that is not very difficult.

Anonymous said...

Can't empathize. But sympathy .. oh yeah .. loads of it.

--xh-- said...

>>I wonder whether there will be palada for the sadya.
:)

ah, NOW, u r making sense.. my sole motivation and purpose of attending any hindu marriage Palada. Jai Ho!

B. said...

Found something to wear ?? Loved the dialogue b/w you and your mum...

So how was the wedding ?? Did they have palada ??

Anonymous said...

Hey! I tagged you. Apologies in advance. Click here

Anonymous said...

wat do 'em men know of our sorry plight? hope u get something good enuf.. hey usually moms have good stuff.. they are pretty old, but u know how all of those old statements make a comeback every now and then? i think u shud really experiment.. go crazy on ur mom's collection and let all of the aunties and maamis scream out in horror... heh..
and ur last line s a lol...

ZB said...

you true to your name, lage raho lathiyadi.:))

Anonymous said...

I always protest when they say girls are dumb, "Hey, it's not politically correct to say so. They just use their heads for slightly different purposes!"
Thanx! I guess next time I can argue better :)

Onward said...

hmmmm....poor mom!! hehe..btw was the paayasam paalada??!! how i long for paalada payasam!!

Anyways back to the topic..moms and daughters and clothes..uff...what do i say..i ve seen the long arduous discussions back home and have always kept a safe distance....

You female folk r crazy!!!

luv
amith

Pesto Sauce said...

Yup...guys don't care and girls don't bother if guys care or not

k.ø.c.h.ü said...

ha ha..kollaallo videon..!!! cool post buddy...my first visit here...!!! lathiyadi is super cool..baakeem koode nokkatte.

alla suspence baaki vakkathe.paalada undarunno? Hmm..i hav a 'swayamvara' tale in my blog waitin...chk out:)
http://evincere.blogspot.com/2009/07/swayamvara-de-inverse-one.html

Quest said...

Evide poyi? :)

Shopping for sarees or busy attending weddings? :D

Lena said...

how much time did the whole process take??

Lakshmi said...

Many more Happy returns of the day to u too... :) Have fun...

The M said...

That would have been a hilarious post to me a few months back. Not anymore!!! Cos, my sister is getting married in November and now its my duty to take them from one shop to another. And till now, I had my chance to visit some of the best known shops for wardrobe and jewelery. And spent the whole day there, drinking tea or juice or wateva they offered me ( one guy in a shop must have felt rly sori 4 me cos he brot me juice 3 times!!!) and woching all the mothers and daughters pulling one sari after another from the racks!!!

Anonymous said...

hey there miss fair lady!!! so luks like im not the only one who s been neglecting my poor blog... wats ur excuse for denying the mighty blogdom of thy fantastic tales???

Quest said...

Ha ha ha .......U are absent for long :D

mathew said...

chk out this post
http://pareltank.blogspot.com/2009/07/sari-me.html

tarana said...

really....i do envy guys on dis matter....huh...hw easy its 4 dem...


bt there is another matter, dey dnt get option as get...

Zeba said...

lol. i advise mama on dressing as well. from clothes to make. and once she is done she has to check with me before leaving the house. now me away in hostel, missing mama! :-(

Zeba said...

lol. i advise mama on dressing as well. from clothes to make. and once she is done she has to check with me before leaving the house. now me away in hostel, missing mama! :-(

Dreamer said...

Which one of us born with the XX-chromosome hasn't faced these dilemmas? To get the perfect blouse to match with the perfect sari just before a wedding ! Sigh! The torture is only alleviated by the yummy grub served at the weddings :)

♪♪Happy Go Lucky♪♪ said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i loooved the post!!!!!!!!!
First time im visiting you and im loving it already!
:D

Anita Jeyan said...

I simply loved this post...and the writer in u!!

Jean said...

Ah. So there's more of us. I see my past in you (just a few years of course, I ain't that old old.). And yes, beware. If you want to see your future, take a peek at me and feel free to be horrified.

;)